Thursday, September 18, 2014

Deadly ever after

Have you heard of happily ever after? I'm sure you have. But what about deadly ever after? What if the all the fairy tales you know are wrong?

In the series "Grimm diaries" Cameron Jace, brings a whole new version of our beloved fairy tales. Where, the evil snow white wicked queen is not so evil, and the snow white herself is a beautiful blood-sucking vampire. the Prequels! I liked them. A lot.  

I think we should all agree that Cameron Jace is one creative writer. He took the fairytales we all know and spun them, twisted them, combined-tangled-reinvented them until he reached a mind-boggling result… or almost mind-boggling, because some things are still a bit confusing and should probably be reconsidered and reedited. But, leaving the small flaws aside, he managed to create a pretty exciting and clever series that I will gladly read up to the very last book, so please write faster, Cameron Jace!


Before I begin, here is the list of all thePrequels that have been published so far:


Snow White Blood Red – narrated by the Queen of Sorrow
Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder – narrated by Alice Grimmu
Beauty Never Dies – narrated by Peter Pan
Ladle Rat Rotten Hut – narrated by Little Red Riding Hood
Mary Mary Quite Contrary – narrated by the Devil
Blood Apples – narrated by Prince Charming
Once Beauty Twice Beast – narrated by Beauty
Moon and Madly – narrated by Moongirl
Rumpelstein – narrated by Rumpelstiltskin
Jawigi – narrated by Sandman Grimm( spolier alert: the evil queen!)
Happy Valentine’s slay – narrated by Willie Winkie
Children of Hamlin – narrated by the Devil
Tooth&nail & fairytale – narrated by jack madly
Embers in the wind – narrated by the match girl
Jar of hearts – narrated by the queen of sorrow
Welcome to sorrow – narrated by Igor the magnificent.

Laddle Rat is one of the badass girls of this series, and I get excited every time she is mentioned. 

Mary Mary Quite Contrary was interesting for two reasons. First, I must say that the Devil is my first all-time favorite character, and I definitely want to see more of him in the series. He’s absolutely hilarious! He’s fun, witty, he clearly loves his Hell kiddos, and overall is doing a great job as a devil, even though he sometimes thinks he’s pretty lousy at it and he should quit. Someone should grab him by the shoulders, shake him good, and tell him he’s the best devil the Dreamworld has seen. That would raise his spirits when Hell gets boring. Have you noticed how dull and uninteresting is Prince Charming in most fairytale retellings? I say most because I, obviously, haven’t read all of them. It reminded me of how dull and annoying he is in the Once Upon a Time TV show. I was glad that I met Jack Madly in this one, because he’s my second all-time favorite character. He’s simply perfect and someone should write a book about him! Jace makes us ponder if evil is just a point of view.

What more we want in a fairytale than vampire, ghosts, werewolves, and boogeyman? Cameron Jace puts all these together in one book and we simply loved it. 
And I will conclude here by quoting Cameron Jace " I would like to see them( diaries) as poisoned apples once you eat them, you will never see the fairy tales in the same light again." 

4 comments: